Great Nan's Ticker
I hung up with my mom, ran to my car and sped down my street to my Nan's (which is literally at the end of my street). I could hear the sirens on the way and I knew that it must be bad and 911 had been called.
I sprinted up two flights of stairs and saw the fire department there and she was already getting oxygen. Her levels were in the 80s and they were starting to go back up (they wanted them near 100). She looked a little scared when I first got there but seemed to get her color (and sense of humor) back a bit when she saw me and I finally was able to catch my breath. My mom accompanied her to the hospital and I went back home... scared, worried and nowhere near tired (though it was near midnight).
To make a long story a little shorter, my Nan had a heart attack- and she was having one while we were there and it continued at the hospital. Thankfully they were able to get her some meds, and up to the cath lab where they learned of two blockages. She had two stents put in and is resting comfortably and anxious to get back home already. To say this all brought me great relief is a huge understatement. Last night I began to cry thinking of her, how much I love her and how I am nowhere near ready to say goodbye to her (but is anyone ever ready?). I prayed fervently and perhaps selfishly that God would let my Nan stay a few more years on this earth (she'll be 93 this August). My children adore their Great-Nan and were a bit alarmed when I told them this morning that the night before she had had trouble breathing and had a heart attack but that the doctors did a great job fixing her heart and that it looked like she was going to be just fine. I was touched when the first thing that they wanted to do was pray for her!
And when I took the Littles to school, Z also prayed for her and I had to smile when he said, "Dear God, Please help me to remember to pray for Great-Nan all day. Amen." And my little parrot Sean spoke a very clear, "Amen." (I love that this will go down as one of his top 10 first words.) I had updates throughout the day from my mom and wanted nothing more than to go home and take a nap... (that didn't happen, nor has it ever, though I do dream that one day it will... a nap that is). Tonight after the kids' showers and books we waited to be able to Skype with Great-Nan. We had to wait until after 8 (when visitors were allowed back in the ICU) so Sean was put to bed and didn't take part in the festivities. For some reason, Skype wasn't working right away so the kids talked with her on the phone and it was so great to hear her voice!
We hung up and I got on the computer to type (this) when I heard Skype calling me. My boys heard the familiar sound and came rushing back into my room to see and hear their Great-Nan. Z wanted to know what those things were in her nose and Joe wanted to invite her to his baseball game tomorrow (since she is feeling better and all). Joe decided that it would be best if I just take a video of his game so that Great-Nan can see it. I've said before on here that my kids have been the best medicine for my Nan and tonight watching this exchange was the best medicine for me- for I love this woman more than I could possibly express and I am so glad that God chose to let her stay a bit longer with us here! She has some short term memory 'issues', and I have to laugh when she remarks, "You mean you have FOUR KIDS? I wish I could be around to see them as teenagers." Who knows Nan, if there is one woman who could live to 100, it very well could be you!
To make a long story a little shorter, my Nan had a heart attack- and she was having one while we were there and it continued at the hospital. Thankfully they were able to get her some meds, and up to the cath lab where they learned of two blockages. She had two stents put in and is resting comfortably and anxious to get back home already. To say this all brought me great relief is a huge understatement. Last night I began to cry thinking of her, how much I love her and how I am nowhere near ready to say goodbye to her (but is anyone ever ready?). I prayed fervently and perhaps selfishly that God would let my Nan stay a few more years on this earth (she'll be 93 this August). My children adore their Great-Nan and were a bit alarmed when I told them this morning that the night before she had had trouble breathing and had a heart attack but that the doctors did a great job fixing her heart and that it looked like she was going to be just fine. I was touched when the first thing that they wanted to do was pray for her!Thank you for your prayers everyone!
And as a side note, my Nan's only symptom was shortness of breath- so don't think your chest has to be hurting (like I assumed) to be having a heart attack. I should have remembered this though- back in the 90s, my Nan was changing up the parks she would walk in. She was thinking the air in them was making it harder to breath- one stress test later and she was headed into surgery for a stent! And now, off to have a whiskey cocktail of some sort... apparently they help keep your ticker in good shape!
So happy for you and family that she is doing better. Today at Jesus time Zachary said "my great Nana is at the hospital so we need to pray for her" so we did for sure.
ReplyDeleteRonda
Laura, I am so happy to hear that your Nan is okay!! I went through a similar scare last summer with my Grandma, and although she is 92, I wasn't ready to say good-bye (nor am I ready for that now). I'll keep your Nan in my prayers, and will let my Grandma know...they apparently sit together at dinner!! (She's the "gal from Minnesota who grew up with a bunch of brothers and she hates her full name, and she has wonderful great-grandkids"??) I also believe that the kids are the best medicine, and am so sad that J and I are far away from my Grandma most of the time.
ReplyDelete(The whiskey must also be the best medicine...my grandparents always had a nightly manhattan!!)
I'm glad your Nan is ok! What a scare and I sure hope that she stays around for years to come! I used to tell my granny to live to be 100, she didn't, and it still makes me sad. I'm grateful that you and your children have her--what a blessing!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that your Nan is okay. What a wonderful blessing God has given to her.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you feel. I pray everyday to God to give my dad more years with me, I can't bare to let him go. We have held each other up for 29 years now since my mom passed away. My only regret is that I don't live closer to him. The videos are precious and your children have the biggest hearts.
I'm glad she has the stents in now and the blockages were found. I'm relieved to hear that she is ok after such an ordeal!
ReplyDelete