Day 5: Ober Gatlinburg



Today we took a tram to Ober Gatlinburg. It was fun going up the mountain and I was happy when Joe pointed out that Sean was the only baby on the tram not crying! The trip was worth it for the view alone but of course pictures out the windows hardly did it justice so I opted not to put them on here (just use your imagination). When we got up the mountain, we started with lunch and then headed outside. Upon first glance I was a bit disappointed. There was a little playground and the kids had a lot of fun on it. Then Jeff spotted these 'luge' type sleds coming down the mountain and said, "Let's go!" I was hesitant but decided to go with him while my folks watched the Bigs.
When Z noticed that we were going, he said he wanted to come too. That made me so nervous, but we agreed to let him come. Z shared a chair lift with me which was terrifying! I had my hand wrapped around his little waist so tight and another on the bar beside me (aside from this quick wave for a picture). I kept feeling like he would slide forward off the chair and I prayed like crazy going up that mountain over trees, rivers and rocks. I was also worried about my flip-flops falling off (they didn't). Z LOVED IT and didn't stop talking the whole way up. I didn't hear a word he was saying though since I was busy holding on and praying the whole way up! The Luge trip down was a blast and once the Bigs saw their little brother do it, they wanted to play too. Jeff took Ali Jane, my dad took Z and I took Joe. I was scared with Joe too, but not as much as he assured me the whole way that he didn't feel like he was going to fall at all and to 'stop worrying so much.' I learned with Joe to sit like a pretzel (aka what we used to call 'Indian-Style') so I didn't have to worry about my flops.
Jeff and Ali Jane
Papa & Z
Me and Joe... Don't let this fool you. Joe was on his own 'sled' but I think my (big) body weight caught up with him and so by the end I was bumping up to him.
After the luge ride, Jeff took Ali Jane, and my dad took Joe and Z, through a maze. They got a card upon entering and had to find the letters M,A,Z & E and punch them on their card and then come out of the maze. Ali and Jeff did quite well but then we noticed that the boys were not coming out. We went on a platform up high to try to coach them and I almost peed my pants. Joe and Z were so frustrated. We tried to coach them with little luck. Joe looked at us and said, "You keep giving us bad directions you... bad people!" And Z cried out, "Papa, we're lost!!" They did come (THIRTY MINUTES LATER) surprisingly with smiles on their faces.
Z's smile was short lived when he realized that he was too short to go on the swing ride with the Bigs. I thought that it was odd that he could go up a mountain on a ski lift but not on a kiddie swing ride. He was sobbing about not being able to go on the swings but then stopped when Nana suggested trying out mini-golf.
He had a good time. He would hit the ball and then move it a bit from the hole and then putt it in. After the Bigs were off the swings, they joined the golf game. Joe gets so frustrated if he doesn't do something right every time (much like Ila). Ila didn't make an appearance though... Ali actually had a hole-in-one! We were tired and ready for our trip back down the mountain. Z actually fell asleep on the ride back and thankfully Sean was good too. In the evening Jeff and my dad went to a Sports Bar for a beer and dinner. I taught the Bigs how to play Uno and all in all we had another great day! Looking forward to another great day tomorrow. It will mark my tenth year as a Doran!

Comments

  1. Now that sounds/looks like a fun place to go.
    Glad you had such a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there with friends a few years back. It was so much fun and so beautiful. I remember going on the chair lift. Unfortunately for us a huge storm rolled in and once we got to the top we couldn't go down the slide. I really liked that place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!