Caught in the Act!
A few months ago, I thought I was going crazy. I realized that some of our dishes seemed to have disappeared- vanished! We were down to about 5 of our smaller spoons and we were even missing some of my smaller Wedgwood plates (all gifts from our wedding- that we now need to replace).
I really did think I was going nuts. We don't bring spoons anywhere outside of our kitchen- never pack anything in the lunches that would require spoons... And then one day I noticed something- the Bigs had cleared their spots at the table, but at the sink (where they put their plates and such) we were one place setting short. When I asked them about it, Zach told me he had thrown out his old food. I looked in the garbage and sure enough, there was a plate and (in this case) a fork!
Zach and I sat down and had a nice talk. I showed him how to clear his plate off into the garbage, and then to carry his silverware and plate to the sink. He practiced a few times and I thought we were good (notice I said, 'thought'- past tense).
Before Sunday School this morning, I was running late (as usual) getting all the kids out the door as well as everything needed for a birthday party that I was taking Ali Jane to after the service. I grabbed Sean's bib to discard the stuff he left behind when I did a double take. There in the garbage was a bowl and spoon!
So I learned a few things.
1. When teaching a three-year-old to clear the table, practice with plates, bowls and all combinations possible.
2. Take frequent assessments to ensure your three year old is mastering the skill.
3. Hire a few Bigs to squeal out the three year old (Where were they? Surely Ali Jane should have seen something- she is the master of all tattle-tales!).
4. Always keep your camera handy... you never know when you will catch someone in the act- (and get good blog material!)
Love it. Now we must master the skill of knowing paper products that can be thrown away vs. plastic that is saved. I am curious on what he will do at school. Will make a note to watch. :)
ReplyDeleteRonda
Laura,
ReplyDeleteThis made me laugh! And I am so relieved to know someone else sounds like I do in the morning--tired! I will make a mental note to watch what will does when he clears his spot. For all know, this has been happening at our house too! He loves to say, "May I please be excused?" and then to take his own plate, etc. the counter. So funny. And what a cutie Z is!
:-)
Erin
Laura, I'm sorry, but I just totally laughed out loud. I can't believe he was throwing his bowls in the trash! It's funny sometimes the things we assume are so obvious, but they aren't necessarily to them. Very cute.
ReplyDeleteThat is so funny. I guess I always cleaned away the dishes for my children. Of course I only had two so clean up was pretty easy. I should have taught them like you because they still sometimes leave the table and expect me to do it!
ReplyDeleteToo Funny! WE too experienced losing silverware once my son learned how to clean his place at the table and after eating something that required a spoon, we too soon will have to replace the silverware that is missing......
ReplyDelete