Write on, Ila!

To understand this post, there are a few things that you need to understand about this family. First: We are writers. I (obviously) keep journals and blog like there is no tomorrow (ok- I'll admit it... perhaps a little too much...). Joe and Al are following in my footsteps- writing stories, notes, books, lists... One of the things we did to promote writing was put dry erase boards in their bedrooms. We often write notes back and forth- parents and kids- brother and sister- Ali Jane has become quite the writer for a little kindergartner- and apparently so has ILA!!

I said there were two things that you need to understand and the second is that we sometimes have two girls living in this house (When I say "girls"- I'm not talking about myself). One is the adorable and very helpful Ali. The one who loves to read to her brothers, tickle them and get us all cracking up with the most hysterical jokes that really make no sense. She is the one that helps with small chores and has the most delightful manners- "Dad, you are the best cook. I am so thankful that you went through all this hard work for us." "Mom, have I told you that you are the best mom in the world? No really... You are! I am so special to be your daughter."

Now that may sound like a bunch of cheese- but sometimes Jeff and I look at each other and feel like the best parents in the world... until Ila shows up! In case you haven't noticed, "Ila" is "Ali" spelled backwards- and Ila pretty much is a backwards Ali. She is whiny and crabby and pouts, screams and stomps! We often times shake our heads and hide our chuckles when we hear the boys sigh, "Oh great... It's Ila..." (And yes, they have gotten in the habit of calling her that too when she 'changes'.)

Usually Ila is quite loud, but the other day I hardly noticed as she retreated to her bedroom. Later in the night after checking on her when she was asleep, I noticed that Ila had left a message. She signed it Ali, but I know better...

"No. Mom, I'm leaving the family. You better say sorry."
(It is a bit hard to read since Ila didn't think to erase old messages before writing new ones).

Thankfully, Ali Jane showed up the next morning and the message is no more. I think she was a bit embarrassed about it when she overheard me telling Jeff about it. But I learned a little trick from my dad in this parenting department.

I remember him telling me (often) to clean my room (and it still is the messiest room in my house- usually with clean clothes piling up on my chair- I HATE FOLDING AND PUTTING AWAY LAUNDRY). It is hard to believe a sweet gal like myself would ever be sassy or nasty to my parents- but I'll admit it- I did challenge them to help grow them into the most amazing parents (You're welcome mom and dad!)! Well, my dad one day snapped a picture of my teenage room in all it's glory and threatened to show it to everyone... Well, I cleaned my room.

And I am so very glad that my dad is not a blogger (I did not get my writing skills from him)- and I am also thankful that there was no Internet back then... my kids... beware! But then again- maybe I should rethink this... They will figure out how this Internet works in no time and I don't want them to show you how out-of-control my laundry really gets- Uh oh! I hope you read this post before I had to 'erase' it.

Comments

  1. Laura,
    I laugh that your dad took a picture of your room. At MSU I didn't have the cleanest room and Nevada would take pictures and mail them home to my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the proof you have, that is so funny! I love the Ila thing, what a great idea. I don't like folding laundry either and it's just the two of us now. But I do fold it right out of the dryer so it's not wrinkled too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "Ila's" note!! I recall asking my mom how to spell "pierce" at age 8, then leaving her a note informing her that I'd run away because she wouldn't let me piece my ears.
    And your dad was too smart, taking a photo of your messy room. I only hope my husband never reads your blog...I'd hate for him to take a pic of our messy room and post it online!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!