
On Saturday, my little boy turned one (And my Grandpa
Jonasen would have turned 96)!
It is hard to believe that it has been a year already since I delivered Sean Asher! He has grown into such a little personality and I just love how he has completed our family so perfectly. I smile at the dinner table when we're all talking about our day and he adds his own babbling two cents, complete with dramatic pauses and intonation. He certainly is a
Doran!

Sean's birthday fell on a busy day, but for some reason, I chose to have his birthday party on the day of his birthday- Jeff thought I was crazy for not planning it the following weekend. I figured we would celebrate anyway, why not invite the whole family? In the morning, I took the kids and met my mom at our hospital for the Walk to Remember and Jeff had his graduate class until 3:00. There was also some football game going on which everyone was excited to watch. Sean fell asleep when we got home after the excitement of the walk and then running some last minute errands for the party. He slept through all of the guests' arrival which included, Grandma, the
Dorans, the
Drapals, the Harts, Auntie Jodi & Nana. There was no Papa because he was at that aforementioned game (
hmmm... a little
de ja vue. I seem to remember him missing his grandson's birth for an away football game)...

Sean woke in time to eat dinner (which he was in great spirits for) and enjoyed playing with everyone. When it came time for gifts, he was not happy but did manage to hang around to open a card or two. The
Bigs (and other kid guests) were fine with this because that meant they got to unwrap presents!

The cake was so much fun! We had to keep the cake out of Sean's reach until after we sang Happy Birthday and
Sto-lat. The moment it was within reach, he dove in and didn't waste any time. It was as if he was afraid to take a breath- worried someone may assume he was finished and take it away! He made a wonderful mess of the carrot cake I made him. (I have made all the kids carrot cake for their first birthday... as if carrot cake will make this first taste of 'sweets' a bit healthier... HA!) When he was done, he let out a manly burp and it was off to the kitchen sink for a bath!

He loved his bath and I think that he had an overall one-derful day though he's probably forgotten all about it by now. It makes me a little sad that this is the last of my 'babies'. I know that now I will have to ween him which makes me a little sad and will probably be the subject of a post in a few weeks when he is finally fully weened (I've dropped two feedings and am holding on to the night and morning feeds for the moment). I know that though this year brought a whole-new-Sean, next year will bring even more changes and fun adventures. For now I want to freeze time, and just love my bald-headed, toothless, one year old! I know that if I blink, he'll be all grown up!
Speaking of growing up, here are his stats:
*Weight= less than 25th percentile (20 lbs, 13oz), Height= less than 50th percentile and... drum roll.... Head Size... 97th percentile!! It's gotta be big to hold that huge brain of his I guess!
Happy Birthday, Sean! He's so cute with his cake :).
ReplyDeleteI love to see the cake pictures!! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Sean. What a fast year.....! Grandma Judy
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it has been a year already. That was a busy day for you. I love the picture of him with the cake and the videos are so cute. I don't think I've every seen a baby so happy eating his cake!
ReplyDelete