

There are many occupational hazards to being a teacher... can't use the bathroom when you have to... if you get sick or have sick kids, you can't just leave work... and when your child has cool things going on in school... well, you will probably miss many of them because you are taking care of other people's children. Joe learned that last occupational hazard yesterday. He couldn't understand why I was unable to go to the Mother's Day Tea/Celebration at his school. I tried to explain to him that they have all been sick and I had no time to take off because of maternity leave - all hard to understand for a six year old - so I finally told him I couldn't go because my boss wouldn't let me! (Sorry boss!) The good thing is that my mom saved the day (as she
SOOOO often does) and went
Jonasen's kindergarten celebration for mothers in my place.

Thankfully she took her camera too and told me how wonderful the day was! (I think she was a little glad that she got to go instead of me!)
Jonasen was in his glory- showing her around the room, giving her his seat and bringing her cookies. Of course the presents were for 'mom' but Nana could look at them too. During the school day his wonderful teacher sent me the power-point that was played at the celebration so that I could view it later with Joey. According to my brilliant son, I am 23, like chicken, and like to read! (I was glad he didn't have me pegged in my 40s and say I like to play on the computer and text friends as many others said about their moms... We try to keep off all screens when the kids are not around... so far so good!)

Because the middles also go to school at a daycare, their Mother's Day tea happened BEFORE the work day. They made yummy muffins and we had fun enjoying them together before school started. Again I loved the homemade gifts from them! (though Zach told me that the gift he made for me was 'Zachary's"- love that he speaks of himself in third person AND that he refers to himself by his full name!) Being a mom is my favorite job in the world! There have been many times though when I have been unable to be there or dropped the ball while juggling everything. When that happens I do what I always do... CALL MY MOMMY!!! And because I have the best mom in the world, she has saved the day... many, many, many times. I don't know what I would do without her! Happy Mother's Day Mom! And thank you thank you, thank you! (For saving so many days for me!)- And Z and Sean Asher thank you too... Jeff and I have said before that had we not had parents living so close by to help out- we probably would have had to stop at two children... it takes a village... or an amazing family support system!
You are very welcome - it has been my pleasure to be there to be able to share in the lives of my wonderful,loving grandchildren. And it has also been a joy to watch their amazing mother and how she juggles all the things in her life with grace and calm. Happy Mother's Day, my dear!! I'm so proud of all you've done!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing mother you have and you are too! Your children are very blessed with you!
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's day!
Ronda
My heart was warmed while reading this as it does most every time I read your blog!! I am soooo very glad that you have such a wonderful mom, I have always thought she was too!! You are amazing Laura.....Thank God you were able to have all of your children with your mom their to assist you!! The world needs a lot more Drapal-Dorans....he he
ReplyDeleteHappy Mother's day to you both!!!
How wonderful to have your mom nearby to help you. Happy Mother's Day to you and your Mom!
ReplyDelete