My Random Dozen

A friend of mine has a great blog and I have been reading her post (every now and then) her answers to a dozen random questions. I find myself enjoying reading her answers and thinking about how I would answer each question. So today I decided, "Why not?" So I am answering the random dozen questions. While I don't know who reads what I write here (unless they comment) I figure my children, and grandchildren and maybe even my great-grandchildren can read my fun answers one day (in the blog books I get made) and know some fun random things about me, so here goes:

1. What is one really fast, know-by-heart "go-to" meal to fix in a pinch?
This is easy! My husband is the cook in our family. (He's actually quite good!) When someone asked him when he started cooking he said, "When I started dating Laura!" (He had no choice I guess...) But there are two things I know how to make that don't take measuring and I know by heart... Cold Spaghetti Salad and Sloppy Joes (For my sloppy joe recipe, I recently swapped out the beef for turkey! YUMMY!!!)

2. What is one item you won't leave home without. (Purse and license do not count.)
Another easy one to answer! My cell phone- especially when my kids aren't with me. I try not to answer it or talk when I'm driving, but I like to have it with me and it drives me crazy if I forget it!

3. Where is one place you never tire of visiting?
The first thing that popped into my head... Hamtramck, MI. I am a 'Polwegian'. (That is, I am 50 percent Polish and 50 percent Norwegian.) Hamtramck used to be a little polish community in Detroit and there are still some Polish speaking people, bakeries and restaurants. My Busia, Uncle Joe and Auntie Irene all lived there and we used to visit often when I was younger. I still like to go there because they have some of the BEST Polish food ever! Some presidents have even eaten in these little hole-in-the-wall restaurants... (I must be hungry to be thinking food...)

4. Share one factoid of your family's history.
Since I already talked about being a 'Polwegian' and I talked about the Polish part, I must say something about my Norwegian heritage. I was/am super close to my grandparents, the Jonasens. (Hence Jonasen's name-) and I used to LOVE talking to my grandpa about what it was like growing up. He had fascinating stories- (I could start a blog about that alone!) I loved learning history through their eyes. During the Great Depression, my Nan's dad (my great-grandfather) painted houses to earn money. His family would stay in the houses while he painted them. (My Nan tells Ali Jane that she doesn't have it too bad with her three brothers! My Nan had FIVE brothers and one sister!) So they moved around a lot (in Duluth, Minnesota). My Grandpa's family was lucky to have had some money. He remembered people coming to his back door asking for food and such and his mom never turned anyone away. Talking about this makes me miss my Grandpa... He was my pen pal for years!

5. Complete this sentence: "Once upon a time I ...."
painted piggy banks and sold them at craft shows. This actually wasn't that long ago. I wish I had time to do it again. If you are my friend and you have a baby, it's pretty much known now what you'll be getting for me.

6. If you could win a one year's supply of anything, what would it be
A CLEANING LADY!!! I am too cheap to have someone clean my house when I am able. But- oh the time it would save me... (sigh)

7. "One quirky thing you may not know about me is ...."
Quirky??? Hmm... I would have to ask my husband. (or family and friends...) The only thing that is coming to mind is that I don't like coffee. I like hot tea with cream. I don't like iced tea though... Is that quirky? I don' t know...

8. You have one dollar in your pocket. What will you buy?
I probably wouldn't... I would find something that needed to be done around the house and offer it to my kids for their piggy banks (that I made of course). I pay off all my credit cards and so we charge everything (on Discover) because we get cash back! I never have cash on me.

9. "One thing that always makes me laugh is ...."
The people that I work with! I teach with the most amazing people! My school is like a second family to me and I am blessed to have them! (I could have said my husband or kids but that seemed too dull- my brother always makes me laugh too!)

10. What is one thing you could do today to help yourself reach a personal goal?
I could go for a walk. Actually I did! My exercise has been so "off" after having Sean and I am dying to get back into my pre-pregnancy clothes. That is a goal that I will meet this summer- I am DETERMINED!!!

11. What is one thing you could do today to bless someone else?
Well, it is late as I write this- but I pray- I pray each night and I think that that is a blessing... I also visit writings of other women who have lost children and try to give them hope and send out support because I've been there.

12. What is one thing you're looking forward to soon?
SUMMER!!! 18 more days with kids- but who is counting!? I actually LOVE what I do and will be doing a lot over the summer for work but it will be on my time schedule, I'll be able to use the bathroom when I want, and when Zach is sick (as you know he will be) I will not need to worry about sub plans and being docked pay for taking him to the doctor.

Comments

  1. 18 days!!!!! I am so excited to be done. I LOVE my class, but can't wait to be home with my kids. I do a lot of work over the summer as well. I pick one evening a week to focus on school work so I don't feel so crazy come September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you joined in. I would love to visit that bakery in Michigan. Growing up in Chicago we had our sections too and the food was wonderful. I miss that. Have any pictures of those piggy banks? Sounds like your summer will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!