The Walk to Remember


Since 2004, we've been going to the Walk to Remember at our local hospital to remember Andrew (and now Baby E). It is a wonderful event. I usually bring my mom and the kids. (The day has been a bit too emotional for Jeff which is completely fine...) It begins with refreshments then we walk to the memory garden where there are bricks with all of the babies' names. Poems are read and then the names of each precious life that was lost too soon. As this is happening, the families place a little memento on the 'Mother Tree' to remember their babies.

As that is happening music is playing in the background and then we all send our balloons to the heavens. It has been very emotional in the past- watching them disappear amidst the fluffy white clouds...
This year was dreary and rainy, and I was running late. My body was tired and so I said to my mom- "You know I will never miss this event, but I don't think it will be an emotional one this year- which will be good!" Well- the walk was exhausting- and my mom forgot her camera so ran back to get it as I corralled Zach to stick with the bigs and I as we walked. I had a balloon for Andrew, and E as well as my dear friend's babies. (She now lives in Tennessee.) The kids each got their own balloon to hold this year which was new. As we let off our balloon, Jonasen said he wanted to let off his balloon too. I told him he didn't have to this year and he could keep his, to which he replied, "No mom, I would like Andrew to have it." I watched as he let it slip through his fingers. His eyes fixed upon it as it drifted to the heavens. I then took him into my arms, tears rolling down my face and reminded him how proud I am to be his mom. So much for it not being an emotional year...
And then in true fashion- life went back to normal as Joe told Ali- LET YOUR BALLOON GO- IT SHOULD BE FOR THE BABIES! And she said NO!!! Ah- Love my babies- all of them- Thank you Joe for making me pause- and then screaming at your sister to bring me back to reality!

Comments

  1. PERFECT!!! In every way!! I love those kiddos!! =) They always make me smile...even through the tears. <3 u all! ~L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the weather. What a wonderful event. I sent a donation to an event in Naperville, IL which is next door to where I once lived in Illinois. It is also a Walk to Remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww...so sweet that you continue to keep Andrew alive in all of your lives. Joey is mature beyond his years. And you were a trooper!

    Best of luck on Friday...I can't WAIT to hear the news!!!!!!

    XOXO
    Jen & crew

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!