Pause (Again)

For those of you who are out-of state- We've had WONDERFUL spring weather lately here in Michigan. I picked up the big kids from pre-school last Thursday and we saw a pink balloon that seemed to be dancing around in the wind. I said, "What is that balloon doing?" Jonasen replied, "It's going to Andrew, mom." (pause, smile) "Yes, Joe, perhaps it is."
Later that night after dinner I loaded the three kids in the wagon and we went for a walk to Independence Village where Great Nan lives. As we walked through the parking lot, they saw the door to where my grandparents first lived when they came to Michigan. Joey said, "That's where Grandpa Jonasen lived with Great-Nan. He liked his green chair and played the organ. He's in heaven now." (pause, smile) "Yes, Joe, you're right."
When we got in the lobby, there was Great-Nan and other ladies we've gotten to know, sitting around a man with a guitar. They were having a sing-a-long and asked if we'd like to join. "Of course! We're always up for singing!" After many rounds of songs (geared at the younger audience I gather) which included Old McDonald's "Peacock" (What sound do they make really?) I let the group know that we would have to leave to get home for baths and bed-times. To which the man with the guitar said, "Let's send them off with a song." A lump in my throat formed as he began to sing, "Goodnight Irene." (Pause)
Sometimes God sends me these little pauses to remember... the infinite lessons I learned from a son I held for mere hours in my arms and a lifetime in my heart... a man who created a relationship with his grandaughter that turned into a unique unforgetable friendship... an Auntie who gave new meaning to the word (Auntie)- a sweet giving woman whom I will never forget.
I thank God for those pauses and often time wonder if He sends me more, but in the busy-ness of life I choose to ignore them. This time - I chose to pass them on.
Goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!