Because of Andrew
Again this year, I asked for people to do a kind act "Because of Andrew" and again this year I was blown away by the many acts of kindness that were done in his name. We spent the morning with Joey, then off to his XC meet, then I was able to get to the garden before games and Joey's marching band stuff at night. It felt good to pause in the garden- to light the candles- to kiss his brick- to talk to him. This year I handed people flowers with a note in them explaining why they were getting the flowers. I loved seeing people's reactions to the flowers and as I walked away I loved that they were probably reading Andrew's name and touched (if only for a moment) by his existence.
In the evening on the way to Marching Band, Joey said to me, "Mom, I hate that my birthday is your worst day." Ugh- felt like a punch in the gut. I looked at him and said, "It was my worst day. But what you also need to know was that it was my BEST day because of YOU! YOU were the one who saved me and who made me a mom. Please don't ever forget that. Yes. It was my worst day but it was also my absolute best!" I think we both had tears running down our cheeks. September 15th will always be an emotional day- a hard day but also the best! Happy birthday to my boys!
Comments
Post a Comment
I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!