ALS Ice-Bucket Challenges!


So this was the year of the Ice Bucket Challenge!  I started to see these great posts showing up on my Facebook of people dumping ice-cold water on each other's heads.  I have to say that it got my attention and in addition to that, people were talking about ALS~ something I remember asking my parents about when my friend's dad passed away from it when we were twelve.  I remember thinking about how horrible it was, but to be honest it wasn't something on my radar.
 Seeing these posts made me think about that though and so many others who are suffering from this horrible disease.  When we were nominated, I was happy that it gave us the opportunity to talk about charity and ALS with our children and we also made a donation to ALS.  Of course it was fun but we also gave 20 bucks from each of us who took the challenge (Sean opted to pass and just dump).
 Health is something that we should never take for granted but as our (healthy) lives go on, we often forget to pause and thank God for our health.  I know too many people with sick children- life threatening sicknesses- Most of the people that we nominated also took the challenge including the awesome staff at my school and some of my former students.  Giving is awesome and I hope more charities think out of the box and get the word out about their charities to raise money and awareness.

I have a video of our challenges that you can see HERE on YouTube.

I also found this on Wikipedia and thought it was worth sharing:

After the Ice Bucket Challenge went viral on social media, public awareness and charitable donations to ALS charities soared. Within weeks of the challenge going viral, The New York Times reported that the ALS Association had received $41.8 million in donations from July 29 until August 21. More than 739,000 new donors have given money to the association, which is more than double the $19.4 million in total contributions the association received during the year that ended January 31, 2013.[39] On August 29, the ALS Association announced that their total donations since July 29 had exceeded $100 million.[40] The ALS Association is just one of several ALS-related charities that have benefited from the challenge.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!