Me and Pele'
Since Cobi died, it's been hard leaving Pele' (pronounced Pay-Lay after the famous soccer player). It's gotten to the point where if he sees us leaving the house, he'll sneak out and get into the car to come with us. He's been very happy because he's been coming to all the ball games (and there are MANY) and he's also come with us any time we have gone to the lake. When he first started joining us, he would shake in the car (which is odd since he was the one who hopped in), but now he's relaxed and comfortable.
Pele' never was very good at walking on a leash. In fact, that's why I used to take Cobi on walks. That and Pele' used to drag one of his paws. I don't know how this happened, but now Pele' keeps good step with me and doesn't seem to drag his foot. He does sometimes trip now and then when his legs don't work like he'd like them, but overall he's done well. We do one or two miles and he usually averages 16 minute miles (and that's with sniffing a tree or two).
Of course with all this exercise comes a wonderful senior nap. Pele' rarely sits. He either stands or lays down and if he's laying down to sleep, he usually puts his paw over his face. I'm happy he's still with us and that he gets to come with us now. I would be lying though if I said I don't think about Cobi and miss him still every day. I know he's out of pain and that helps some.
Pele' gets so much attention wherever we go~ one of the joys of being a mutt! People are often asking what he is... or if he always prances.... We also hear how beautiful he is and how shiny his coat is. No one can believe that he's 13. He's gained lots of friends at the ball games and is so good with all the kids, grown-ups and dogs that come to see him! I'm glad to have a walking buddy again!


I'm glad you have a walking buddy too. He is so sweet and I'm happy he jumps in the car to go on adventures with you!
ReplyDelete