Great Nan's Treasures (and her TRUE treasure)
OK. I am first to admit it! I take life pretty much day by day- sometimes moment by moment. We do a lot of running and currently have things every single day (usually multiple things a day). It is May and I FINALLY took down the Snowbabies in my curio cabinet.
Don't judge too much... I don't go in my dining room very much... and totally forgot about them!
I also had a bin in there of some of my Nan's old china from when she moved. While I'm not really into that sort of thing, since it was my Nan's, I told my mom I would love to have it and showcase it. As I start to unwrap the pieces, I realized what treasure she had. One of the plates was from 1892 and most of the pieces (if not all) were hand painted and just beautiful. I really enjoyed looking at them and wished my Nan could tell me the story of where she got them from. I doubt she would remember, but you never know... baseball season will be over next month and I would love to have her over for tea ( in my cups of course).
Here are some pictures of some of the pieces!
In the bin I also found a letter that I wrote. I have no memory of writing it (I am my grandmother's granddaughter) and I wonder how it ever got in with my Nan's china.
It was a letter to my Grandpa Jonasen and this is what it said:
My Dear Grandpa,
It seems only natural I should write a final letter to my first pen-pal. It would seem strange to an outsider to think of a young teenager seeking the advice of her grandfather to help her through the toils and turmoil of 'life,' but that is what you did. We have such an amazing relationship (I can't write the word 'had' because it hurts so). I've already written Jonasen and Ali Jane about you in their journals and it pains me to think that their memories of you will one day fade. I thank God for video and the joy of journal writing that you passed down to me. Yesterday, when I told Jonasen that Grandpa was in heaven, he replied, "Grandpa's Home" and that is the only thing that is getting us through this I think.
Nana misses you so and it is hard to imagine the Queen without her King. I think she is angry that you didn't come home to her and that I can't blame her for. I will never ever forget the embrace that you shared in the hospital. You taught me that you can stay in romantic love forever- even after an amazing 63 years! You taught me to forgive. You taught me to have patience. You taught me about God's grace when He took Andrew home and you taught me how to love- not with words, but by example. You lived an amazing life, and I will always be grateful for having the opportunity to share in it. And so, I can't say now that this will be the final letter. Perhaps I will continue to write you as I do Andrew. I find comfort in knowing you are only a whisper away, but I will so miss your wisdom and friendship. Thank you for showing me the stars, my sweet Grandpa. I love you so.
Forever,
Love Always,
Laura
Reading this note brought back so many memories- our letters we wrote when I was so young, how he adored Jonasen and Ali Jane~ The wonderful advice he gave me throughout our time together and those nights... when I was a little girl... I remember him taking me in his arms- me on his hip and going outside- walking down to the lake. We'd look up at the sky and he's show me those wonderful stars.
I still look up to those stars~
Whisper to him~
Thank you.
Great-Nan's TRUE treasure!
Your letter to your grandpa is a treasure. I enjoyed reading it. You were so blessed to have him in your life. Loved seeing the treasures from Great Nan, they are so lovely.
ReplyDelete