Picking the Perfect Pumpkin (and more)


Jeff and I had a rare Sunday off from music (church), so we loaded up the kids and after school on a Friday and headed to Three Cedars, our new favorite farm!  We went there last year after our neighborhood farm had prices that were crazy high!!  I'm kind of glad they charged so much because had we stayed there, we wouldn't have made the drive to this place (and we've found a gem)!
It was a perfect fall day!  When we arrived at the farm, there weren't too many people there so we had a wagon ride almost all to ourselves (a family of 3 was there too)!  Once we made it to the pumpkin patch, the kids were off in search of the 'perfect' pumpkin!  Sean learned the hard way that running in a pumpkin patch is NOT a good idea.  There were vines everywhere.  Thankfully he learned from his mistake and was soon off (walking) with his sibs.
Zach found his pumpkin almost immediately.  It was on the far end of the patch.  He literally took off and when I went to look for him, there he was... carrying this heavy pumpkin all by himself back to where we would meet the wagon to take us back.  He had a little wait because the Bigs were slower in choosing their pumpkins!
 Ali was careful in her choosing and while she could lift her pumpkin, she got Jeff's help to get it out of the pumpkin patch.  I was with Sean who wanted a 'little' pumpkin, but every little pumpkin I pointed out was "too big!!"  I finally gave up looking with him and was off to help Joey.
He chose the biggest pumpkin~ which was super heavy to carry... so guess who ended up carrying it??? (This is also why you don't see any pictures of Joe with his pumpkin.)  Of course he found his pumpkin on the far edge of the patch (in the opposite direction from where we were to meet the wagon).  I looked at it as a good workout.

 My mom (who was able to join us for a while) heard another lady say that there was a smaller pumpkin patch a short walk away from the one we were looking in.  Sean went to that patch and came out immediately with his own pumpkin.  He needed to carry it all by himself (which perhaps is why he wanted a 'little' one).  I should mention that the blue bracelet on his wrist, he refers to as his 'super powers' so that may have helped him too.
 Once we got off the wagon, we paid the $20 for our pumpkins and Joe got them in a little wagon to pull to our car.  After the pumpkins were packed up, we headed to the barn for yummy cider and donuts.  Ali and I took a look through a little country store and then the kids were off to play.
I mentioned last year that they had the cutest set-up for a petting zoo that I have ever seen.  All the animal areas were based on books (something this teacher loved!).  The bigger boys were off playing so I tried to get Ali to feed "Mary's little lamb".  She was too afraid (sigh) so I gave the food to Sean.
 He loved it!!!  And the lamb loved Sean because he wanted to feed him again... and again... and again... but then he noticed there was more hay to jump from, more animals to see, a train to play on, a playground area and... a corn box!
This was so cool!  The kids were swimming in corn.  It was much like a sandbox, but better.  I honestly thought we'd never get them out. It really was a genius idea... And, unlike sand, so easy to brush off when you were done (though I did find some kernels when doing Sean's laundry the next day).
As the sun set, we decided it was time to go.  Ali of course had to do a handstand before we made our way to the car.  Jeff had heard that the international space station was scheduled to be in the sky and so we waited.  Sean wasn't too pleased with this idea but Joey really wanted to see it.  His sad face below was because he thought we were going to miss it!
We didn't though and Joey's frown turned to excitement as soon as we spotted the ISS and watched it go across the sky.  We read up on it and learned how fast it goes (WOW!).  So not only was it a fun night, it was an educational one!  I'm looking forward to another trip to the farm (perhaps in the winter~ I've been told they have winter fun too).  This trip was a success! I can't wait to carve our pumpkins!

Comments

  1. Love the pumpkins they picked out and how awesome to see the space station!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!