Grandma's Birthday!
One of the perks of having a December birthday (at least one close to Christmas) is that everyone is off work and can be together to celebrate! We were excited to go up to celebrate Jeff's mom's 70th birthday in Frankenmuth. We had a few moments when we got to her house to give her her presents before we had to leave for dinner. We got her a "Days with the Dorans" book from 2011 (She doesn't have the Internet and I thought she may like to hear about our day-to-day adventures and funnies). I think her best gift from us was a glass jar with 70 reasons we love her (I typed them out, cut them, and Al and I rolled them)!
It felt so good to give it too her and while it cost next to nothing, I think it was a great gift. The kids and I each came up with 10 things we love about her, the dogs came up with 5 and Jeff came up with 15. I interviewed the kids separately so they wouldn't repeat each other and helped a bit with the dogs and Seany. In case she likes the Doran book and I give her that again next year, I thought I'd post the 70 reason we love her again here (and it's nice for the world to know how wonderful she is!!!).
You raised an amazing son! (Laura)
You have a laugh that is warm and kind and makes others want to laugh along with you. (Laura)
You are unbelievably strong~ surviving cancer and the loss of your Jim. I admire your strength. (Laura)
You make the most amazing taco salad that I could never replicate. It just tastes better because you did it. (Laura)
You make my children squeal with delight when your thoughtful packages arrive on our doorstep during all the holidays. (Laura)
I enjoy talking with you when we visit. (Laura)
You have a green thumb (something that I wish I had!). (Laura)
I could eat loaves and loaves of that cranberry bread you make!! (Laura)
I love the way you decorated your Christmas trees, I was so inspired by the ‘colored’ ones that you do that I have a gold and red one I do every year. (Laura)
You love your grandchildren in a way that makes them feel it. (Laura)
You make yummy food. (Sean)
You always give me cookies. (Sean)
Your hugs are the best! (Sean)
You gave me a turtle light that I sleep with and play every night. (Sean)
You come and visit me. (Sean)
You let me mess up your house when I’m there and play with all the toys. (Sean)
You used to say I was a good talker (even when my parents didn’t think I really was...) (Sean)
You came and visited me in the hospital when I was born and took care of all the Bigs too! (Sean)
You read me books. (Sean)
You love me. (Sean)
I like to hug her. (Zach)
I like to love her. (Zach)
Um. And I like to go to her house. (Zach)
And I love her so much when she bakes those yummy cookies. (Zach) (That’s a long sentence.)
I think, maybe, I just love her. (Zach)
I love her so, so, so, so, so, so, much. (Zach)
She sets up the eggs (Easter Time). (Zach)
Number 8 is she likes reading books to me. (Zach)
She gave me a sqooshy. (Zach)
She played a baseball game with me once. (Zach)
She snuck us food before (Cobi).
She pets us even though she knows that that means we won’t leave her alone (Pele’).
She doesn’t mind that we lay in the way and make it hard to get around. (Cobi)
She doesn’t yell at me when I get so excited to see her and almost knock her over. (Cobi)
She just loves me, even though she doesn’t say it, I know she does. (Pele’)
She makes good food. (Ali)
She comes to all my dance recitals. (Ali)
She always gives me nice birthday and Christmas presents. (Ali)
She let’s me read to her and said I was a good reader. (Ali)
She gives us surprises. (Ali)
She hides eggs so we can find them and she puts things out for Seany too. (Ali)
She gave me a special bear with a special message on it. (Ali)
She comes a long way for our birthdays and it’s really thoughtful. (Ali)
She’s really thoughtful. (Ali)
She made me a cool cake with a barbie in it. (Ali)
She makes really, really good food. (Joe)
She has the best pies in the whole world! (Joe)
She is super, duper nice! (Joe)
She gives me cool presents for Christmas. (Joe)
She came and watched me play baseball. (Joe)
She knows what my favorite things are. (Joe)
On Halloween she sends a package to us. (Joe)
She gives us cookies and stuff. (Joe)
I like her because she’s very friendly. (Joe)
She let’s us play with all her toys. (Joe)
Your homemade jam is terrific! (Jeff)
I love your spaghetti sauce! (Jeff)
Thank you for making school important to me. (Jeff)
I love you for helping me with my homework when I was a kid. (Jeff)
Thank you for sharing your love of reading with me! (Jeff)
I love that you never missed a game or school function of mine. (Jeff)
Thank you for loving me! (Jeff)
I love your cranberry and apple breads! (Jeff)
I love your sarcastic sense of humor...I think I got mine from you! (Jeff)
Thank you for taking me camping when I was younger. (Jeff)
Thank you for always making my birthday special...I still remember the baseball cake! (Jeff)
Thank you for spoiling my children! (Jeff)
Thank you for my Irish heritage!! (Jeff)
Thank you for watching my children whenever I’m in a bind!! (Jeff)
I love that you always forget to bring/use your camera!! (Jeff)
| Ali, Mary & Abby |
| Ali snapped a picture of the boys. |
We were there for a long time and (all things considered) the kids were really great. Of course, Sean was... well... Sean. I don't know if I've written it here, but he HATES wearing socks and shoes and they come off everywhere (usually on my way to work where I have to search for them in the car before putting them BACK on him. I finally learned just to put him in the car barefoot!). I wasn't too surprised to see his piggies on the restaurant floor and to be honest (since we were by the wall) I didn't bother putting them on him right away. I know this game and he's a resilient little booger!
He didn't wander too much and when cake and ice cream were served, he headed over to his Uncle Jim (after Jeff got his shoes back on him). They were having a great time. Sean would eat, give some to Uncle Jim, eat, give some, eat... He was getting a big kick out of it and I loved watching him play with his goofy uncle!
After dinner, we went downstairs and did some window shopping. The kids were complaining at first because they wanted something from the toy store we went in and I wouldn't get them anything. I was SHOCKED when they all (minus Seany) apologized near the end of the night for whining about getting something! That never happens so I thought I should write it down to get it on record.
After dinner, Jeff needed to use the bathroom (with the rest of the building~ it was quite comical to hear his version of this, but I'll spare you the details... I almost wet my pants laughing so hard though). While he was gone, we killed some time and this little sign thing was GREAT! Though I have many with heads in them, this picture kind of sums it up best I think...
As we were leaving, we heard a family near by talking loudly asking where "Kevin" was. They realized he was gone and literally split up in all directions screaming his name. We saw his dad (a very large man) sprinting throughout the place and it was scary (for all of us). We said a little prayer for Kevin and had a talk with the kids about how important it is to stick together. I smiled when I saw the Bigs grab Seany's hand and then Z grab Al as we walked to our car. We have a lot to be thankful for.
What a fun get together you had. I think that gift in the jar was a great idea. I think we need to do that for my dad's 90th!
ReplyDelete