The Doran kids must have been good this year because on Christmas morning, Santa had come (and our elf, Artie had gone). It was 6:30 when Joe and Sean came in our room to wake us up. It was 6:40 when the middles joined them and 6:45 when Jeff and I realized it was time for us to roll out of bed. When the kids saw we were getting up, they ran downstairs. They were making quite a commotion and we didn't have to 'see' to know that Santa had come! When we did go into the family room, we saw the stockings stuffed, the presents under the tree and four very special colorful presents (from Santa himself) waiting for the kids to open them. I took so many pictures, that I put them in a video, but also wanted to put a lot here for my book.
Sean was a funny bird... he didn't want to look in his stocking (that was until Joe pointed out there was chocolate in there). Then he didn't want to open his presents (he only cared about the chocolate). When he finally opened his first present (a bus I found at CVS for less than 5 bucks), he played with it for about 20 minutes. That is the joy of Christmas to me... watching the kids open and really treasure their gifts. As is tradition, they shared the presents they got for each other (at the dollar store) and made big fusses over every purchase. We didn't have to tell them to thank each other or hug each other. They did that freely on their own (which made me proud).
The dogs were equally excited having gotten treats from Santa and new dog beds from us. Pele' was most excited about all that paper (he loves to rip it). Jeff passed out the presents one by one and I just sat thinking about how wonderfully blessed I felt.
Cookies and milk were GONE!
Joe helped Sean understand there were goodies in his stocking.
Al helped Cobi open his stocking (since he has no hands).
This is excitement over new flower headbands for dance!
My gum-chewer was very excited about this gift!
Z loved giving his gifts to both Al and Joe... I think he was more excited to give his gifts than to get them.
Cobi loved his new bed!
These two things were his favorite!
Joe got Al an iPhone!
Best friends!!
I got Jeff a Hobbit book (he and Joe are reading the real book right now).
This excitement was over skirts!
One of my favorite traditions is that our kids only get ONE present from Santa. It is easy to tell what gifts are from him as he puts them in colored paper for them. While we take turns opening our gifts from each other, Santa's gift truly is a race. The kids get their gifts, we count to three and they tear into their gifts! Ali got the doll she wanted, Z his flip and go dino, Sean got some car puzzles and Joe got some Lego's of Spongebob. I am not a fan of that show and don't let them watch it (though they've seen it at both grandparents houses I think). I know he felt a bit guilty for putting it on his list (when he saw this was the set that Santa chose), but if Santa got it for him, I could hardly object!
The remainder of the morning was quiet playing and kids getting along. I made sweet-potato balls for the afternoon gathering at my folks' and Jeff worked on his service order for next Sunday's worship. To me, this was a perfect way to spend our morning together... thinking of all that we are thankful for, mainly that precious gift that God gave us all on that first Christmas morning.
What a fun Christmas you had. I miss those Santa times from when our children were little but I must admit we have a fun time with our adult children. Looks like our house on Christmas day and the dogs make a big mess with their toys and paper! I am so happy with all of your blessings.
My mom just gave me a card saying she missed all those things from when I was little and sometimes wished those times back... but then she would miss the woman I have become (of course all of this was way more poetic, but you get the idea)! ;-)
It's getting to me... I don't know if it's the sleep deprivation or the crazy schedule of being a full time working mom and having four kids at home... but it's getting to me. I am so tired. Last night I was up at midnight with Sean, then at 2:30 with Joe who was sick and threw up, I got back to bed at 3 and slept for 15 minutes until Sean woke up again. I let him cry for 45 MINUTES until I could take it no more, staggered into his room and nursed him. And then I was up before six to start my day which looks something like this.. Wake up, shower, get ready for work prior to kids waking up... (praying that they don't wake up) then waking the bigs who can dress themselves, and getting Zach changed and dressed, then downstairs to make breakfast for three bigs while putting together pump parts to take to school (that were drying over-night), clean up from breakfast, meds for Zach which now include a breathing treatment (from last Tuesday's doc apt), shoes on a...
Well, we knew this day would come. Prayed that it would be clear and it was. On Sunday night I laid with Cobi as I have (more so in recent weeks). He asked to go outside at one point and he was out longer than usual. I called for him to come inside and he didn't come. I had been cleaning the kitchen and I thought perhaps I had let him inside. My brain isn't the best. I ran upstairs and to all his favorite places, but he was nowhere to be found. I grabbed my shoes, wrapped my arms around me and went out to the cold calling for my baby, in a panic. He came to me slowly from out in the darkness and when we got inside I sat with him, wrapped my arms around him and cried. As promised. He had told me. This was it. Somehow I went to school and made the call. The last appointment of the day was at 5:20pm and since Joey wasn't getting home until 6:00, I took it as a consult and then also booked the first appointment for t...
So some of you know that I have two blogs. This blog- which has reflected on my day to day adventures with my living children, things I love and the occasional "Pause" blog where I remember my angels. My other blog (That I refer to as my 'Pause' blog) has been an entire blog about my angels-a therapy to me in a sense- how they've changed me, restored me and helped me. I have met a huge community of mothers who have lost children and have been nominated by two of them for this Honest Scrap award (for my 'Pause' blog) The idea is similar to the last 'award' I wrote about, my new friends stated in their blogs that: The award is about bloggers who post from their heart, who write from the depths of their soul. In order to accept the award I must nominate seven fellow bloggers as recipients, and then list ten honest and interesting things about myself. So- although I was nominated on 'Pause'- I'm writing on 'Days' because I have sh...
What a fun Christmas you had. I miss those Santa times from when our children were little but I must admit we have a fun time with our adult children. Looks like our house on Christmas day and the dogs make a big mess with their toys and paper! I am so happy with all of your blessings.
ReplyDeleteMy mom just gave me a card saying she missed all those things from when I was little and sometimes wished those times back... but then she would miss the woman I have become (of course all of this was way more poetic, but you get the idea)! ;-)
Delete