

This year I started my Thanksgiving day with over 17,000 people! Though I was unable to do the Turkey Trot last year (having had Sean just a month and a half before), I have a feeling I won't be missing another one! What a great way to start out the day (though I could do without leaving my house before 6am)! My friend Chrissy and I met up with my folks, brother and sister-in-law at my brother's house (where my mom was watching my niece) and we were off to downtown Detroit with a whole lot of other interesting characters! What a great place to people watch, but of course I didn't charge my little point and shoot camera so didn't get too many pictures.

My brother and dad ran the 10k where my dad won his age group! I sometimes tease him about this saying it's because he is probably the ONLY one in his age group- but running 8 minute miles when you're in your mid sixties is pretty darn impressive (especially because I am certain I couldn't do it in my mid thirties)! We ladies decided to walk the 5k. We had a great time and though it was supposed to be freezing and raining (I had on 2 pair of pants, 4 shirts, and three coats) I ended up getting a bit hot.
Hmmm... will have to remember that for next year. Needless to stay, starting out the day like that makes it easier to finish Thanksgiving dinner with a delicious slice of pie... and that's what I did. After the Turkey Trot, and of course a shower, we
Dorans were off to Jeff's sister's to celebrate!

It was wonderful to celebrate with Jeff's family because it has been a long time since we have. Jeff refuses to kennel the dogs and always felt that Thanksgiving is a holiday that should not be rushed, so for the last few years have been celebrating with my family because they are local. We did host it ourselves a few times, but were so excited to hear that Jeff's sister (who does not live as far) would be hosting this year. This meant that Grandma had her ten grandchildren gathered in one place and I know that it meant the world to her. (I was excited because it gave me the opportunity to snap pics of all the kids for a Christmas present I am working on for her!)

As I am sure I have mentioned before, I don't cook, but thankfully Jeff does. On the way home from the trot (nothing like waiting until the last minute), I picked up the fixings for his dish which was some
broccoli-cheese-rice-deal. It was yummy as was all the other food. Jeff's mom is one of best cooks there is and his sister and sister-in-law are wonderful cooks as well. Because I am not a cook, I clean up after our meals and burned some extra calories scrubbing all the plates, pots and pans... but I am getting ahead of myself...

On the drive to Jeff's sister's the L
ittles fell asleep, so I chose to stay in the car in hopes that they would sleep a little longer (and read the book I finished today-The Help- read it, it's wonderful!), while Jeff and Joe went inside. Ali Jane (as I expected) was not sleeping, but was just being her shy self. After a while it was too hard for her and she woke up Sean, and then Sean woke up Zach and the naps (and my reading) were quickly over. Because of this, I had Zach cuddling with me for a good ten minutes before he was ready to venture out and play with his cousins. Ali Jane also was slow to warm up, but that is nothing new. By the end of the night though, I think she was pretty happy to have such cool (girl) cousins to be hanging out with!

The boys had a blast and spent much of the day/night playing together with swords and guns and such. It amazes me that boys do this and I truly think that it is something that they are just born with. Even when we didn't talk about 'guns' (or have any play squirt guns or anything) in this house, Joe (or perhaps it was Z- sadly I can't recall...) would point a stick at you and call it his "pew"- which was the sound the 'stick' would make while pointing it at someone. He certainly picked this up watching other boys but needless to say I have never seen Ali Jane (who is never far from her brothers) pointing 'pews' at anyone!

The kid table was super cute. Jeff's sister's kids made Thanksgiving 'head-gear' for their cousins and they were adorable. I was a bit sad that we forgot to get out the wine (aka sparkling cider) for the kids, which is a tradition that my brother and I grew up with for years, but loved that (like we do in my family) we went around the table and spoke to what we were thankful for. I was thankful that Sean and Z were both really well-behaved despite missing a nap... but I always think of my Grandpa
Jonasen when we do this. On his last Thanksgiving he answered this question by saying, "I am thankful for my wife. For my wife gave me my amazing daughter, who gave me you, who gave me them." And as I reflect on all that I am thankful for, it of course starts with my husband, my best friend, father of my children. I am thankful for our amazing marriage, wonderful children, fabulous family and friends and above all our great God who has been with me through some tough times and reminds me of how truly thankful we should all be! Wishing you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving with much to be thankful for!



What wonderful pictures - I can't believe that you got all 10 cousins looking at the camera and smiling. That's a GREAT picture! Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I'm happy you got to spend that time with the Doran clan!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm thankful for all of you!
Love, Nana
That's neat you did a Turkey Trot! I think I'll stay snuggled inside under a blanket! lol Although I'm sure you stay pretty warm being active.
ReplyDeleteI like that they are wearing Indian feathers. :)
What an awesome way to start the day. How exciting that your dad ran and won in his age group. I would be lucky to walk! Looks like your Thanksgiving dinner was beautiful. Love all the pictures.
ReplyDelete